Getting started with a content filter

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Fri Jul 29 06:14:34 UTC 2011

On 2011/07/28 21:27, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> But you're not terribly happy with the plugin idea, at least in the
> long run.

No, for the locking feature, a plugin is fine as long as it works
seamlessly and robustly if it's installed.  I think it's probably best
as a plugin, actually, since it is specific to a setup.  For the large
binaries, I'm pretty sure it needs to be in core to be truly robust and
have the right features to make it useful.  At least, that's my opinion
from my understanding of things right now; just making it clear.

I think the "advances in merge technology with solve the locking
problem" is a technological-solution-to-an-aesthetic-problem fantasy.
There is no tool for the next 50+ years that will merge two textures to
an artist's satisfaction (which, of course, won't stop a lot of useless
siggraph papers being published on the topic that never get used in
production, but that's a different problem altogether).

On 2011/07/28 21:43, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> Actually, I thought games/film/etc were more Alienbrain territory.

Most people I know looked at it and decided not to use it years ago.  I
assume they have customers since there's a big list on their site, but
at least at EA/Maxis, I didn't know of a single project that used it.
All the content was in p4 (usually split up using p4's partial checkouts
feature so everybody didn't have to sync everything).  You want all the
content and code in the same system so you can recreate a build exactly.
  Maybe Alienbrain will use p4 as a backend or something nowadays.  I'll
ask around.

Chris