What I've learned from scmproj (Re: what should be done to merge nested trees patch to bzr-core?)

Brian de Alwis briandealwis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 13:26:00 UTC 2011

Very valuable insights, Alex.  I hadn't seen the value in a 'composite log' or recursive commits, but likely because I've only been tracking external dependencies; I can see how they would be useful when dealing with resources that are shared across multiple projects.

Figuring out the default modes for possibly-recursive commands is difficult.  I've been using bzr-externals for a bit now and like its recursive push, but hate its recursive commit.  I ended up disabling bzr-externals recursive commit.  When committing a fix that changes both my main project and a nested component, I usually want to use different commit messages: the message for the main project just isn't suitable for the nested component.

I do wish bzr-externals had a recursive 'status'.  I sometimes forget to commit changes to one of the nested components, which is only revealed when (if) the auto builder's tests fail.

Brian.