weakrefs and avoiding bad gc cycles

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Jun 13 21:57:46 UTC 2011

I had a think about this (bug 791612) last night.  In short, I am
inclined to just remove all the __del__ methods, rather than letting
them be conditionally enabled by a flag.  Looking back they seem to
have caused a fair number of intermittent failures, and in my
experience not caught many serious bugs.  When we want to for instance
assert that something is definitely closed before the end of a test,
there are better deterministic ways to do it without involving gc.