Performance improvements for bzr-2.4 on large trees

Martitza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Thu May 19 22:15:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com
> wrote:

Ok, I have taken a quick look and saw some improvements but not as much as I
hoped.  Let's not jump to any conclusions, because my experience is based on
a repo with a fair amount of binary bloat (versioned DLLs):

                                               rev5652 (bzr
2.3.0)                    rev5900
bzr init {target}              <1s                            <1s
<copy files to {target}>
bzr stat
2s                            2s
bzr add
8s                            3s
bzr stat
3s                            2s
bzr commit
210s                         204s
bzr stat
7s                            7s
<one-line change a text file>
bazr stat
1s                            1s
bzr commit
1s                            1s
bzr stat
1s                            1s

Platform is Windows XP, 32 bits.  As close to zero load as I can get.  Just
a "DOS" shell and python.
All tests were performed with --no-plugins and I verified that I was running
the intended revisions by checking 'bzr version'
The machine is an old dual Opteron running at 2GHz with 2GB RAM.  Python is
2.6.5 and I get the usual warning about some compiled extensions not being
loaded but I don't think that matters much for John's changes.

Since I am not seeing as much improvement as John, I speculate that I might
be limited by either memory or filesystem throughput.  I will try a machine
manufactured in this decade soon.

~M