Removed file "is not versioned"

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Sun May 15 09:33:31 UTC 2011

I bumped into this researching the history of a particular piece of
documentation in the Emacs repository.

A file that is now doc/lispref/text.texi was once lispref/text.texi.
It was moved to its current location in 2007.  This was when Emacs
used CVS, and conversion of the repository to Bazaar didn't catch the
move (perhaps it's impossible, I don't know).  So in the current
repository, the file lispref/text.texi was removed in revision 79953
and doc/lispref/text.texi was added in revision 80026:

  D:\usr\eli\bzr\emacs\trunk>bzr st -c79953
  removed:
    lispref/text.texi

  D:\usr\eli\bzr\emacs\trunk>bzr st -c80026
  added:
    doc/lispref/text.texi

So far so good, but it sounds like the information about the removed
file is somehow incomplete:

  . "bzr file-id" and "bzr annotate" think that the file is not
    versioned:

     bzr: ERROR: lispref/text.texi is not versioned.

  . OTOH, "bzr cat -r79952 lispref/text.texi" shows the file as it was
    before the move.

  . On the third hand, "bzr diff -c79953 lisp/text.texi" complains:

     bzr: ERROR: Path(s) are not versioned: lisp/text.texi

  . But if I invoke "bzr diff -c79953" without the file name, I'm
    presented with the diff of removal of the entire file.

What is the reason for this inconsistency?  And how can bzr display a
diff and the entire contents and at the same time claim that the file
is not versioned?

TIA