[RFC] I want to disable submit_branch on my computer for all branches. How can I do that?

Aaron Bentley aaron at aaronbentley.com
Sat May 14 17:20:57 UTC 2011

On 11-05-14 11:22 AM, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> 12.05.2011 22:24, Aaron Bentley пишет:

> The only one part is missing: I don't submit my work.
> Either I push to lp and create merge proposal, or I merge to trunk of
> my job, using human gatekeeper workflow. But "that's just me".

Creating a merge proposal is submitting your work.  You can even create
a merge proposal using "bzr send", but I find "bzr lp-propose" is more
convenient.

>> I disagree.  I think the above case is one we should support.  It was my
>> experience of developing bzr before I started working from home.
>
> OK, your explanation is helpful, thanks. I did not imply that
> everybody works the same way as I do, hence the subject of my mail:
> "I want to disable submit_branch on *my* computer" :-)

Okay, the locations.conf setting should do that for you.

>> I think I was wrong, and we should have a separate merge
>> location.  If merge did not set the submit location, that would
>> eliminate your main gripe, right?
>
> Separate merge_location will eliminate my problems in bzr-explorer,
> but still won't help me to not remember it.

We remember the location you push to or merge from, because you're
likely to want to use it again.  I find I usually merge from the same
location repeatedly, too.  What's the harm in storing a default?  It
won't be used if you always specify a branch explicitly.

>>> To fix that I have to manually edit branch.conf and set submit_branch to
>>> nothing, exactly like that

>> You should be able to set it just once in locations.conf.
>
> I never thought about it. I just need to set it for entire filesystem,
> don't I?

Yes.

> Actually I don't use locations.conf at all.

I find it tremendously useful.  Especially with the appendpath policy.

> In either case, teaching --no-remember do what I thought or
> implementing your proposal will break --no-remember.
> As I understand you, it's better for us to have explicit registry with
> 3 choices.

Yes, that's what I think.

>> The best thing is to create a new location, merge_location, and have
>> "bzr merge" use and set that.  That way, submit location will not be set
>> to the wrong value.
>
> And then for people like you, how to set submit_location? With bzr
> config? Right?

Typically, but bzr send and lp-propose could also set it.

Aaron