[RFC] I want to disable submit_branch on my computer for all branches. How can I do that?

Eric Siegerman lists08-bzr at davor.org
Thu May 12 14:51:40 UTC 2011

I've also suffered from Alexander's submit-branch frustration.
I've never tried to analyze it though, just (with annoyance)
deleted the config setting whenever it happens to be wrong,
and hoped it would *stay* unset.

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 14:31 +0200, vila wrote:
> I think the truth is that [the submit branch] *defaults* to
parent_location if it's not
> set.

Correct.

>     > The problem here is that submit_branch only set by merge,
>
> That's indeed the source of the problems.

Perhaps the solution is to have submit_branch *not* be set by
merge, i.e. make "bzr merge --no-remember" the default, even if
submit_branch is not currently set.

Orthogonal to that is another possible change:  don't default
submit_branch to parent_location; if the former is unset, it
doesn't point to anything, and attempts to reference it fail.
Instead, have "bzr branch" *explicitly* set submit_branch to the
same value as parent_location.  That gives the same effective
results as now in many cases, while also giving the "if it's
unset, it doesn't point to anything" property referred to above.

  - Eric