RFC: How to translate help topics.

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Fri May 6 17:04:25 UTC 2011

INADA Naoki пишет:
> Thank you for all.
>
>> Yes, and Rosetta does not guarantee the same order of translatable chunks as
>> they exists in the original PO file. I think this is BAD BAD BAD thing for
>> single text splitted into chunks. And I'm -1 on this.
>
> I didn't know that. It's a big disadvantage of splitting help per paragraph..

I can't be 100% sure but as qbzr/explorer i18n stuff maitnainer I was
always puzzled why POT file generated by xgettext and the one
imported/exported from LP is different. Maybe it's fixed now, we need to
double check.

So, it will be nice to have some confirmation to prove that I'm wrong
from actual Rosetta developers/maintainers. Because I could be wrong.

> Though, we should not split help topic, or split more big chunks.
> Help topics is written in reST. So "\n"*2 and "\n"*3 makes same output.
> Now I use "\n\n" as a chunk separator. Can we use "\n"*3 instead?
>
> Mercurial guys starts with big text and be suffered by changing one sentence
> makes whole translated text is disabled. I think we should have some way to
> manage changes of help and help translaters.

That's always problem with gettext. It cannot be solved in any easy way.

If you have splitted command help into 3 chunks

and in English you'll have

A(en)
B(en)
C(en)

Then people have translated them into some language and it becomes

A(lang)
B(lang)
C(lang)

Then original B chunk has changed 1 line, then you got in runtime

A(lang)
B(eng)
C(lang)

Is it good? Of course it depends on the real situation and how tightly
paragraps coupled together. What's better: have a mix of English +
Translation or don't have translation at all, but have consistent
English text? IMO it depends.

What if B part has important text and without understanding that text
it'll be hard to understand the C part? I don't see any good workaround
here. That's all or nothing, always, with gettext. Translations should
be always up-to-date, otherwise you'll have one problem of other.

I don't have good answer here. But we have to decide now and improve
later, in any case.