LTR and text wrapping (Re: Internationalisation of bzr cli

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Tue May 3 03:00:32 UTC 2011

> Please consider also right-to-left scripts (such as Arabic, Farsi, or
> Hebrew) when you design this.  And make sure you know exactly what
> kind of text terminals you target for those scripts: those that are
> bidi-aware (and thus the text should be output in the so-called
> logical order, to be reordered for display by the terminal) or not (in
> which case the text should be output in visual order, with all the
> white space on the left already in it).
>
> Many packages that use gettext ignore this issue altogether, which
> makes those packages either unusable with the relevant translations,
> or a grand-royal PITA for those translators who want to do a good job
> for their respective locales.

I'll implement textwrapper that take care of CJK width (one character having
double width).
I want to support bidi but I don't know about bidi much.

When I have string "foo bar foobar FOO BAR FOOO",
It is shown as "OOOF RAB OOF raboof rab oof", right?
Then, when I wrap it with 8 chars, it should be shown as
>rab oof
>F raboof
>F RAB OO
>OOO