Breaking python2.4 compatibility for bzr-2.4

Michael Gliwinski Michael.Gliwinski at henderson-group.com
Thu Apr 21 13:02:51 UTC 2011

On Thursday 21 Apr 2011 08:25:01 John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> This is actually a fairly big point to me. The people who say they can't
> run python > 2.4 is because it isn't available at all (in the case of
> RHEL5). If a distribution happens to ship 2.4/5/6 but defaults to 2.4,
> they could still run a bzr that is only compatible with 2.6+.

> > Comments:
> >
> > CentOS's latest release is still on Python 2.4.  But CentOS 5.6
> > is merely RHEL 5.6 with RedHat's branding removed (so that it can
> > be released open-source); thus, what John says about RHEL's
> > ancientness arguably applies here too, even though the CentOS
> > release itself is very recent.  They're working on CentOS 6
> > (corresponding to RHEL 6), but no release date has been
> > announced, that I could find.
> >
> > As John observes, no other distro of note is still stuck at 2.4.
>
> So CentOS concerns me a bit. However, 5.6 is just a security/bugfix
> update from the 5.0 series. And if you look here:
> week, there was still some polish being done on the 5.6 series, but they
> should be switching soon to the v6 series.
>
> So Real-Soon-Now, for whatever that means. And given that bzr-2.4 final
> is only scheduled for a few months from now, I think we're on perfectly
> reasonable footing. It isn't like CentOS v6 or RHEL v6 are going to have
> bzr-2.4 in them. They probably only have 2.1/2 anyway.

I'm one of those unfortunate people stuck on RHEL/CentOS5 for a good while
still because of the need to support legacy software.  However, I wouldn't
actually object to dropping Python 2.4 support.

IIRC, bzr is only available on RHEL 5 and derivatives via external
repositories like EPEL or RPMForge.  EPEL is currently still on bzr-2.1, but
even if it was updated to bzr 2.4+, Python 2.6 is also available in EPEL
(which installs separatelly from system default python so it doesn't cause any
problems).

My point is, even if bzr-2.4+ dropped python-2.4 support, it wouldn't be
impossible/too hard to get it going on RHEL-5 and derivatives.

--
Michael Gliwinski
Henderson Group Information Services

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee and access to the email by anyone else is unauthorised.
When addressed to our clients, any opinions or advice contained in this e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed  in the governing client engagement leter or contract.
If you have received this email in error please notify support at henderson-group.com

John Henderson (Holdings) Ltd
Registered office: 9 Hightown Avenue, Mallusk, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, BT36 4RT.
Registered in Northern Ireland
Registration Number NI010588
Vat No.: 814 6399 12