[Bulk] Re: [rfc] Fix committed/released distinction

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Sat Apr 9 05:14:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 15:11 +0200, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Except some people only get things via a ppa. And others can only get it
> via stable updates, and others can have no trouble downloading trunk and
> getting it from there.

Gah, come on, release means release, as in "bug is fixed in a release
made by the project".

In Bazaar's case, that would be tarball + (since you guys offer a PPA of
your releases,) .deb in your PPA. When that happens, the fix is indeed
released.

Now, the fact that your bug tracker offers two states ("fix committed"
and "fix released") for what other bug trackers call "resolved" is
lovely, but I don't think these continual [how often do we have this
conversation here? Once every 3 months?] attempts to redefine
terminology used and accepted by large groups of other people is going
to get you very far.

AfC
Sydney