Trunk revnos have become dotted

Gordon Tyler gordon at doxxx.net
Fri Apr 8 14:32:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 16:17:26 +0200, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> If someone pushes a local branch 'over-top' the trunk branch. For
example:

> trunk: A - B
>         \   \
> feature: C - D
>
> At this point, some can do:
>
> cd feature
> bzr push ../trunk
>
> And then trunk's history will look exactly like features.

The thing is, I'm the only developer on this project and I don't recall
every doing that. I've always merged from branches to trunk. I have been
experimenting with using rebasing on the branches. But I only ever do
merges to trunk. I think I may have merged from trunk to a branch that had
previously been rebased. Would this confuse things?

> So we do have a flag "append_revisions_only=True" which can be set in
> .bzr/branch/branch.conf. (New versions of bzr should let you do it with
> something like: "bzr config append_revisions_only=True".

Will this fix a repo which is currently in this state?

> At that point, we would refuse pushing "D" into trunk. Instead, someone
> has to do:
>
> cd trunk
> bzr merge ../feature
> bzr commit -m "merge feature"
>
> Which creates the graph:
>
> trunk: A - B - E
>         \   \ /
> feature: C - D
>
> Some people feel E revisions are ugly, others like them a lot (we
> generally encourage them in bzr).

I personally like them, so thanks for that pointer.

Ciao,
Gordon