[rfc] Fix committed/released distinction

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Apr 8 05:37:38 UTC 2011

> This isn't well advertised, but Launchpad special cases tasks for the
> 'default series' (aka trunk): they are called 'conjoined masters', and
> status changes in the default series task are reflected as changes in
> the project scope task. And vice versa. (sidebar: I am thinking about
> recommending a change in LP where we /get rid/ of non-series bugtasks.
> That is, by default target the default series, and have no non-series
> tasks.)
>
> So adding a default series task for things going into the current beta
> would be a noop, unless you also create a distinct series separate
> from trunk for that - which doesn't really make sense to me.

Urk.  I think any solution that will make bug triagers or developers
think about your previous paragraph is all-else-being-equal inferior.
:)

I tried this in <https://bugs.staging.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/707075>
and I see that it creates a "status tracked in trunk", so then we'd
probably need to get rid of trunk and just have a 2.4 series.  Maybe
we should.  I seem to recall that had some other snags.

For the moment I'll say that's out of scope.

> Lets see, couple of notes as well:
>  - I think for trunk/current beta, having stuff fix committed for 6
> months would be unpleasant.

It would count as released when it goes into a beta, which happens monthly.

>  - having stuff visible where there is a special process for getting
> it to users is good.

Yep.

Martin