Cease PPA support for bzr-builddeb on hardy (& jaunty)

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Sat Apr 2 16:34:31 UTC 2011

On 31/03/11 17:18, vila wrote:

>     > On 3/31/2011 4:36 PM, Max Bowsher wrote:
>     >> bzr-builddeb now contains tests in its testsuite which depend upon dpkg
>     >> support for source format 3.0.
>     >>
>     >> This means its testsuite fails on Ubuntu << karmic.
>     >>
>     >> bzr-builddeb is a developer tool, and highly unlikely to be used by
>     >> anyone on ancient distroseries like hardy and jaunty.
>     >>
>     >> Therefore I propose to cease ~bzr PPA support for bzr-builddeb in hardy
>     >> and jaunty - please speak now if you actually have a use-case for it -
>     >> thanks :-)
>     >>
>     >> Max.
>     >>

>     > Why not just have those tests self.requireFeature(dpkg)
>
>     > Seems a much more reasonable solution.
>
> Right, but I don't think it would make bzr-builddeb usable and as such
> it's probably not worth the effort.
>
> The test suite is meant to provide a way to check that a piece of code
> works as intended, the relationship between builddeb and dpkg doesn't
> look like an optional feature here so skipping may carry the wrong
> meaning.

I discussed with james_w on IRC and we decided that
requireFeature(dpkg_source_format_3) would be a reasonable thing to do
if anyone wanted to do it.

However, since I've now noticed that we never actually supported
bzr-builddeb on hardy in the ~bzr PPA anyway, I'm not inclined to do
this work just to support jaunty - so I've deleted bzr-builddeb/jaunty
from the normal PPAs. The last successfully built version for jaunty is
preserved for posterity in the bzr/obsolete PPA.

Max.