[rfc] bzr-colo into core

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Mar 28 01:53:04 UTC 2011

On 26 March 2011 22:41, Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 06:42:35PM +1100 I heard the voice of
> Martin Pool, and lo! it spake thus:
>>
>> One point is that it makes it more dangerous to garbage-collect the
>> origin branch; but that is not something people tend to do often in
>> Bazaar, and the same kind of danger is already present with
>> stacking.  We could make the referring branches add a note that they
>> exist (either a full url or just a flag.)
>
> Well, people don't GC often because we don't have a command to do it.
> That's kinda strawman   :p

There's a bzr-gc plugin, and a (I think quite similar) bzr colo-gc
command in bzr-colo.  People also sometimes branch out the parts they
want and leave the repository behind.  So it's not really a straw man
but it is a tangent.

Anyhow, it is a logically possible thing that might be useful in some
cases.  Allowing people to use more of the logically possible
combinations depends on making the user model really clear so they can
reason about them safely, and it is is less important than having a
clear main stream case.  I don't at the moment think reference
repositories ought to be part of the main stream case.

Martin