[rfc] bzr-colo into core

Anteru newsgroups at catchall.shelter13.net
Sat Mar 26 20:12:43 UTC 2011

Am 22.03.2011 07:14, schrieb Nicholas Allen:
> As for the disk space argument - I seriously can't believe that that is
> considered an advantage. Disk space even for huge projects is no problem
> nowadays.

Well, it can be an issue if you have one build tree associcated with
every branch. The build tree for a C++ project I'm working on is 7.01
GiB in size, having 10 of them floating around seems just extremely
wasteful (I need x64 and x86 builds typically). I'd like to have a
single source directory which is my local branch, switch that to a
feature branch, hack hack hack, merge to my local branch and then push
to my repository. This gives a cleaner history and makes the merges
easier to review. Right now, I typically have a local dev branch where
_all_ my development happens.

If only a few files change in my branch folder due to switching to a
different branch, I assume that ~10% or so of the source tree get
rebuild instead of 100% now (which is what happens when I switch to a
different source directory.) I guess most large-scale C++ projects will
behave similar.

However, I also like the fact that I can have separate branches in
separate folders, especially for long-term development with periodic
merging it's just good to have everything separated. For that scenario,
I'm more interested in super-nice cherry-picking support in Bzr. Right
now, I would even argue that cherry-picking is more of an issue than
colocated branches, but that's going OT here.

Bye,
 -a