[rfc] bzr-colo into core

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Wed Mar 23 05:23:08 UTC 2011

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org>
> Cc: Nicholas Allen <nick.allen at onlinehome.de>,
>     mbp at canonical.com,
>     bazaar at lists.canonical.com
> Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:38:33 +0900
>
> Erm, getting additional workspaces is trivial, as even git[1] users know.
> Just clone the repo again.  Every git user does this, even for small
> projects.  What's the big deal?

Not a big deal, but clearly inferior to what we already have in bzr:
separate branches in a shared repo.  For starters, disk space savings
(that are claimed to be one reason why colocated branches are an
improvement) will go down the drain.  More generally, emulating
something is always going to be inferior to the thing itself.

Anyway, I think the consensus here is that colocated branches is a
Good Thing to have, even as the default model, but the ability to have
separate branches is better in some important use cases, and should
stay.