Error(s) when trying to push to drivehq via ftp.

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Mar 16 07:16:42 UTC 2011

On 16 March 2011 17:36, ChrisM <relativeflux at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using bzr quite happily over the last few months to maintain a
> project on my local Windows box, but my attempt to create an on-line repository
> with DriveHQ have not been successful. Specifically I get the following two
> errors when pushing via ftp:
>
> bzr: ERROR (ignored):
> 'ftp://sea_of_cortez@ftp.drivehq.com/Projects/rezyn/.bzr/repository/upload
> /udums79bb150foix0v3r.pack'
> bzr: ERROR: Generic path error:
> '/Projects/rezyn/.bzr/repository/upload/udums79bb150foix0v3r.pack':
> : unable to rename to
> '/Projects/rezyn/.bzr/repository/packs/86ad259002570d03f719acb6cfc3cb04.pack':
> 553 Error, Rename only works in the same directory:
> "/Projects/rezyn/.bzr/repository/upload/udums79bb150foix0v3r.pack".)
>
> What does this mean? And what might the solution be?

I guess that means that DriveHQ have for some reason decided to
disallow moving files between directories, or moving at the same time
as renaming.  There are some posts on the web indicating this is true
eg <http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3l3octks2nAJ:https://www.mbizgroup.com/bbs/getmsg.aspx/bbsID110/msg_id10922235/ref_id0/page9+drivehq+rename+directories&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&source=www.google.com.au>.

You can:
 * store your files somewhere else
 * store them locally and use an ftp program to mirror them
 * ask them to remove that restriction (in the page above they seemed
to promise to do so in 2009)
 * see if you can rename the file and then separately move it between
directories, and then patch bzr so it will do that if it gets this
error

Martin