Proposal: Add bzr-changelog-merge to 'core' plugins distributed with bzrlib

Andrew Bennetts andrew.bennetts at canonical.com
Mon Mar 14 04:45:22 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'd like to add https://launchpad.net/bzr-changelog-merge to the set of
plugins distributed with bzr itself (in the bzrlib/plugins) directory.
It's plugin broadly similar to news_merge, but designed for GNU-format
Changelog files, which are a fairly common format.  In some ways its
task is much simpler, as Changelog files don't have different sections,
just a series of entries.

It has only one open bug (which is actually a feature request), and
appears to be working well for the people using it.  No doubt it can be
improved more, but I think that can happen just as easily when merged
into the core tree as it is as a standalone plugin.

The code is fairly clean and small-ish:

$ wc -l $(find . -name '*.py')
  140 ./tests/test_changelog_merge.py
   24 ./tests/__init__.py
  192 ./changelog_merge.py
   85 ./__init__.py
  441 total

And as you can see, there are even some tests.  (It could use more, but
it's already doing better than news_merge…)

I'd like to give many, many thanks to Eli Zaretskii and Glenn Morris for
their feedback, testing, and bug reports!

So, does anyone have any objections?  Comments?  Praise?  Haiku?

-Andrew.