Order in output of "bzr status -S -r"

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sat Mar 12 13:15:43 UTC 2011

On 3/12/2011 11:27 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> "bzr status -rR1..R2" shows the files that were
> added/removed/renamed/modified between the two specified revisions.
> It shows them nicely ordered alphabetically in each category.
>
> By contrast, "bzr status -S -rR1..R2" does not keep that order, and
> instead shows the files in some seemingly random order, which makes
> the output less convenient for human consumption.  Is this on purpose,
> or should I file a bug?
>
> TIA

I'm guessing the latter shows the status in "iter_changes" or
"dirblocks" order. I can go into detailed description, but roughly every
file in a directory is scanned before descending into subdirs. So if you
have:

 b/
  h/
  k/
 m/

They will come out as:
 b/h
 b/k
 b/h/i
 b/h/j
 b/k/l
 m/n
 m/o

It is an ordering that matches pretty darn well with disk scanning.
Because you complete all directory entries before doing a context switch.

If you really wanted perfectly sorted order, you could always do:

bzr status | sort -k 2

or if you want to group and sort, you can do

bzr status | sort

I'm pretty sure it is intentional, though you can file a wishlist bug if
you want.