Creating a bzr branch out of a series of tarballs

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Sat Mar 5 17:15:50 UTC 2011

> Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 11:04:24 -0500
> From: Gordon Tyler <gordon at doxxx.net>
> CC: bazaar at lists.canonical.com
>
> On 3/5/2011 8:24 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Does this mean that "bzr mv --auto" will also handle removed files, if
> > I remove the contents of the working tree before populating it with
> > the next version?  The documentation of "bzr mv --auto" seems to talk
> > only about renames.
>
> No, but 'bzr rm' on its own without arguments will "scan for files that
> are being tracked by Bazaar but missing in your tree and stop tracking
> them for you."

Right, thanks.  (Perhaps it should have a --dry-run switch, though.)

http://bzr.oxygene.sk/bzr-plugins/automv/

> > Also, does "bzr mv --auto" make the automv plugin unneeded/obsolete?
> > That is, does "bzr mv --auto" do everything automv does?
>
> According to stackoverflow.com:
>
> automv plugin allows you to specify the similarity level between files
> with --threshold. Both have --dry-run to check heuristics before record
> actual renames. mv --auto is builtin, so you don't need to bother to
> install additional plugins, vanilla bzr will be enough. Historically
> automv was born first. That's all. – bialix Jan 21 '10

Well, it looks like automv is still needed.  In my case,
"bzr mv --auto --dry-run" says

  lib => m4
  lib/rx.c => m4/Makefile.in
  lib/rx.h => m4/gettext.m4

which is, of course, nonsense: the m4 directory and all of its files
are new, and Makefile.in cannot be possibly similar to rx.c.

But "bzr automv --dry-run" does TRT, and says:

  Skipping 4 file(s) with similarity below 55%.

I don't know which is the 4th file it skipped.

(I can show the offending files and directories, if needed.)