Creating a bzr branch out of a series of tarballs

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Sat Mar 5 12:35:57 UTC 2011

I have a series of tarballs, each one with a different version of the
same package.  I would like to put this package under bzr control.

Are there any plugins, tricks, or other advice that would help me with
this?

I understand that the initial version should be imported like this
(found this in the documentation of "bzr init"):

  cd ~/project
  bzr init
  bzr add .
  bzr status
  bzr commit -m "imported project"

Is that indeed the recommended way?

I'm less clear regarding the following versions.  Just copying the
files from the following versions into the working tree and saying

  bzr add .
  bzr ci -m "imported version X"

seems not enough, because files could be renamed or removed, not just
added.  Of course, examining output of "bzr status" and manually
bzr removing/renaming files would do, but is there a better way?
Would, e.g., bzr-automv help?

TIA