Maintaining trunk and stable branch

Timo timomlists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 19:02:51 UTC 2011

On 20-02-11 15:27, Frits Jalvingh wrote:
> Very easily: just merge your "stable" branch into the trunk ;-)
I was thinking the same, but then I should merge the stable branch after
each commit?

> For this to work you must make the fixes on the stable branch, and trunk
> must have been stable at one time, i.e. you created trunk by just making
> another branch (copy) of stable.
This is not the case I think. Trunk contains commits of new features
that stable doesn't has.

> Now fix code on stable and commit it until done. If you're happy with
> the result merge stable /into/ trunk.
Hmm, but what if I spend 2 weeks fixing bugs on stable, trunk still
suffers from these bugs in the meantime. So that brings back my first
question: should I merge stable into trunk after each commit?

Maybe I'm doing something fundamentaly wrong or don't get the whole concept.

Cheers,
Timo