Restoring history of a "bzr remove"d file

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Sun Feb 6 09:17:55 UTC 2011

> Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 22:16:11 -0600
> From: "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net>
> Cc: bazaar at lists.canonical.com
>
> On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 06:00:44AM +0200 I heard the voice of
> Eli Zaretskii, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > Will "bzr revert" have this effect?  I was under the impression that
> > it only restores the file's contents, but not its history.
>
> It reverts 'state', and part of that state would be the file-id.

Thanks.

So does this mean that a file by the same name in the same directory
as a file that was previously "bzr remove"d will always have the same
file-id?  Even if many revisions went under the bridge since the
deletion?

And if the answer is YES, then does that mean I can see the full
history and annotations of a deleted file by just creating a (possibly
empty) file by the same name at the same place, and then using
e.g. "bzr annotate -r" (which currently doesn't work if there's no
such file in the working tree)?