Performance of bzr update for lightweight checkout

Ulrich Mueller ulm at gentoo.org
Sat Feb 5 11:55:12 UTC 2011

>> So, would the following be a more appropriate scheme for us?
>> 1) initial branch with "bzr branch --no-tree" (maybe preceded by
>> "bzr init-repo --no-trees" if there are live ebuilds for several
>> branches of the same project?)
>> 2) temporary checkout to the local build directory with
>> "bzr checkout --lightweight"

Maybe "bzr export" is even better here?

>> (which will be deleted when the package has been installed)
>> 3) later updates of the branch with "bzr pull"

> If you only use this branch for building the upstream versions,
> without any local changes, then why not just "bzr branch --bind"
> (which will include the working tree)?  You would then build out of
> that tree, and sync with upstream with "bzr update".  Am I missing
> something?

Gentoo packages are built from source on the users' systems. It's all
done from within an ebuild, so it has to follow our package manager
standards: Basically, every package build will take place in some
${WORKDIR}, that is initially empty and that will be deleted after
installation of the package.

Therefore, the build directory cannot be the same as the directory
where the branch is stored.

Ulrich