[ANN] 2.3.0 has gone gold

vila v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Thu Feb 3 20:26:39 UTC 2011

    > On 2/3/2011 12:52 PM, vila wrote:
    >> The release will be announced next Thursday so we have a bit more time
    >> than usual to polish the plugins and the installers.

    > I guess this is when I should mention that I'm going on vacation
    > tomorrow for two weeks and won't have access to my computer or the
    > internet (much).

    > So I will be building the Mac OS X 10.6 installers later today with the
    > stable plugin releases that I know of. If necessary, I can do a new
    > installer when I come back with stable plugin updates.

    > Ciao,
    > Gordon

Thanks for chiming in !

One good news never traveling alone, I don't have access to my OSX 10.5
laptop and won't get it back before 1 month.

So CFP: anyone with an access to an OSX 10.5 host, if you can try
branching lp:bzr-mac-installers/2.3 once Gordon has updated it, building
and signing the installer is pretty straight forward. Don't hesitate to
ask for help, here, privately, on irc freenode.net #bzr, you'll find
some pilot to guide you "through congested waters safely in to
harbor"[1].

Also, more generally I wanted to clarify an ambiguous point in my
previous mail:

- the priority is to get the installers and packages out for our users,

- there is no need to wait for the plugins to do releases, we'll ship
  what is available today and has been tested with 2.3b5.

Plugin authors can then know which releases have been embedded and
that's all that is strictly needed (if each packager can send a summary
of what plugin/versions has been embedded once the corresponding
installer has been uploaded that would be awesome).

Once the corresponding revisions are tagged, *anyone* can make a branch
of any plugin from it for fixing a bug or doing a more formal release.

Finally, when I mentioned series, I don't imply that all plugins should
do like qbzr (https://launchpad.net/qbzr) and create a dedicated series
for each bzr series.

This is kind of the most elaborate scheme, tracking which revision has
been released for a given series of bzr being the other[2][3].

Take your pick, whatever works for you !

     Vincent

[1]: http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/PatchPilot for the metaphor, but
really, the mac installers do all the job and the README gives all the
details.

[2]: Which is the default mode for the OSX and windows installers during
the beta period.

[3]: As a plugin author, I want 'bzr plugins -v' to tell me which version
is referred to in bug reports.