Merging tags?

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Thu Feb 3 04:03:51 UTC 2011

> Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 09:37:27 +1100
> From: Andrew Bennetts <andrew.bennetts at canonical.com>
> Cc: bazaar at lists.canonical.com
>
> So now bzr merges the set of tags when you commit in a checkout, which
> basically involves fetching the set of tags from the master branch, and,
> if any changes need to be made, updating that set.  This step already
> occurs during other operations like push and pull, although I'm not sure
> those operations take care to announce the fact in their progress
> reporting.

OK, thanks for the explanations.

> Perhaps reporting that step is sharing a bit too much unimportant detail
> with the user?  It is arguably part of “Uploading data to master branch”.
> What do you think?

I'm not annoyed by that message.  Bazaar already displays all kinds of
seemingly redundant information when it commits.  I just noticed the
difference, that's all.  So I don't see a need to remove that
particular message.

Btw, there couldn't have been any need to update the tags in my
scenario (there were no local changes except the one I was committing,
and no prior --local commits).  But I guess bzr just announces that it
is going through the tag merging phase, not that it actually found
some divergent tags.

Thanks.