[ANN] Encrypted Credential Store for Windows

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Jan 29 14:45:45 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 09:41 -0500, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> On 1/29/2011 9:06 AM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > I'm wondering how much work there is to do to support caching of (known
> > valid) credentials from within bzr core. I'd be very interested in
> > implementing something like that for gnome-keyring.
>
> It would require a reworking of how credential stores are intended to be
> used. Currently, they're not so much credential stores as encryption
> methods for the password values in authentication.conf, which have a
> little extra behaviour hacked onto them that ignores the password value
> from authentication.conf and gets the password from another source. To
> make it a proper credential store that can be written to would require
> changing the contract a fair bit. Although, considering that there is
> only two external implementations that I know of (mine and bzr-keychain)
> it shouldn't cause too much disruption to change the way credential
> stores work.
Changing the contract is what I'm after though. I think it should be
possible to change the contract in a way that doesn't require mandatory
changes from the existing stores. It should always be possible for
stores to not be able to store new credentials (such as the bzr-svn
store).

There are more external implementations btw. There's also gnome-keyring
(part of bzr-gtk) and the fallback credentials store that's part of
bzr-svn.

Cheers,

Jelmer