project model for 1 main project and multiple branches

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 22:18:33 UTC 2011

On 12 January 2011 12:08, Krilin Wantun <kwnz01 at yahoo.es> wrote:
> Hello, I'm a begginer with Bazaar and VCS in general so I'm not very
> familiar with the terms named in help site, so my doubt is what kind of
> project/branches set for my scenario, which is: I have a main project and
> several branches which have small varations, so not all files are versioned
> in the main project and branches.
>
> I program and test changes in any of the branches, and when I'm happy with
> the result commit branch, push changes to the main branch and push changes
> from main branch to the rest of branches.

This is known as feature branches

> SO far I'm doing ok, but I'm
> confused as when I'm going to create a new branch it keeps asking me (the
> Bazaar explorer) to create branch from
> "C:/inetpub/wwwzine/_nzinex/.bzr/branches/trunk"
> "C:/inetpub/wwwzine/_nzinex/trunk" when my main project is in
> "C:/inetpub/wwwzine/_nzinex"

I think with colocated branches "C:/inetpub/wwwzine/_nzinex/trunk" is
a lightweight checkout  of
"C:/inetpub/wwwzine/_nzinex/.bzr/branches/trunk" (its a working tree
with the files you can edit but it uses the branch in .bzr/branches)

> and I want to create in a separate folder like
> "C:/inetpub/wwwzine/newbranch". I know I can simply change folder to the
> desired ones (from "C:/inetpub/wwwzine/_nzinex" to
> "C:/inetpub/wwwzine/newbranch") but I'm just asking before my VCS gets too
> big and then realize all I did was wrong.

So you just want another working tree. That should be fine, but know
that normally with colocated branches
you only get one workingtree which you can switch between branches in
.bzr/branches

--
<>< Marius ><>