Error -3 while decompressing data - SOLVED

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Thu Jan 20 10:24:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:29 AM, Liam Routt <liam.routt at mediasaints.com> wrote:
> I'm finally able to, I think, resolve this issue.
>
> We've done a bunch more tests, and today began pulling out hardware
> components. Low and behold our problems disappear when a particular 2GB
> stick is removed from the machine, and return whenever that stick is
> present. So it would seem to be an unlikely hardware fault.
>
> We've tested the memory stick with MemTest and it found nothing untoward,
> but the real-world test results are 100%. We've run four (or more)
> successful tests since removing the memory, after never having a successful
> run before. We've returned the memory and had a failure again.

Did you replace it with a different memory stick?  Or just left it out
of the system, so that it had 2GB less memory?  How much memory does
your system have?  I'm curious if you're crossing a 4GB boundary here,
and that's the real problem.  What I've found is that with some large
branches, the C extensions didn't work correctly.  I disabled them (by
renaming the .so's), forcing Bazaar to use the Python versions
instead.  It runs slower, but completes.  This was particularly
important during a pack operation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the
problem shows up elsewhere.

FWIW, I don't know if it's Bazaar's fault or Pyrex's fault.  I
remember looking at the code, and I believe I brought it up on IRC or
on-list... I'm not sure if that ever made it into the bugtracker
though.

-John