bazaar with encfs on NFS

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Jan 7 21:14:30 UTC 2011

On 7 January 2011 07:08, Henry Gomersall <heng at cantab.net> wrote:
> I'm intending to use bazaar with a encfs mounted, locally mounted NFS
> filesystem. That is I have a remote and encrypted (with encfs) NFS
> drive. I mount that locally, and then decrypt it locally using encfs. It
> is this decrypted drive that is a bazaar repository.
>
> Are there any caveats that I should be aware of in doing this?

There is no problem assuming that the combination of encfs and NFS
implements sane file system semantics.  In particular some network
filesystems seem to have a locally incoherent cache, where the client
for instance sometimes renames a file and then can't find it under the
new name.  (I think that particular one is more common on Windows;
it's just an example.)  I don't know if your particular setup is going
to have that problem or not.

I know people happily use bzr on ecryptfs on a local disk (including me.)

> Although at the moment I have only one user accessing the repository,
> the intention is that it should scale to multiple users. As far as I can
> tell, bazaar should not change its operation based on the fact that its
> encrypted or over NFS (assuming the syncing is done adequately).
>
> Is there any obvious way to back up the encrypted store? (perhaps the
> lock file can be cleartext?).

Just make a copy of it from your client machine that sees the
unencrypted files.  I'm not sure how the lock file would come into it.

--
Martin