bazaar corruption causing crash

Henry Gomersall heng at cantab.net
Thu Jan 6 15:15:29 UTC 2011

I submitted the problem as a bug report (697815), but its seriously
stalling me so I am keen to get feedback on how I can get my repository
up and running again.

My bzr metadata has somehow become corrupted making any bzr operations
fail with a crash like that submitted (although bzr status returns
fine).

Doing md5sum on the files in packs/ gives me one file with an incorrect
name (that given by 4d46aaa30ce4a05d9a71342fb858bfe7.pack with the same
name as the .rix file referenced in the bug report).

To fail like this is pretty serious. How much of the version data is
lost? Is there any way to revert it? It seems the data itself is fine,
so its not a catastrophe, but I'm currently unable to commit changes. I
am not aware of any problem that could have led to this - how do I avoid
it in future?

Further files are attached to the bug report at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bzr/+bug/697815

Many thanks,

Henry Gomersall