increasing the python requirement

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Thu Jan 6 09:57:27 UTC 2011

<snip/>

    > The recommended transition strategy is, roughly:

    > # Port your code to Python 2.6.
    > # Make sure all the tests pass using that version.
    > # Run your code under Python 2.6 with the -3 flag.
    > # Fix any warnings.
    > # Run the tests again (still under Python 2.6).
    > # Run the 2to3 tool.
    > # Run your tests under Python 3.
    > # Fix any problems.
    > # Repeat until all tests pass.

    > The main point for maintenance is to only write Python 2.6 code and
    > use 2to3 to generate a 3.x version as part of the build process. You
    > don't really need to create a 3.x fork until such time as you decide
    > to abandon Python 2.x entirely.

That was my understanding (well, mostly based on a gut feeling rather
than really informed).

Martin and Andrew have good arguments about the apparent low cost of
maintaining compatibility with 2.4/2.5, so I think we should just try
the -3 flag and 2to3 and see.

This means keeping trunk in 2.x and experiment with a fork based on the
2to3 results.

If we decide to target 3 more aggressively later, we can still change
our mind and switch to maintaining trunk in 3 and a fork based on the
3to2 results.

     Vincent