increasing the python requirement

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 00:24:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 06:53:50PM -0500, Gordon Tyler wrote:

> On 1/4/2011 6:44 PM, Martin Pool wrote:
> > Any of these seem like a high price to pay if the benefit is just
> > getting to use some nicer python2.5/2.6 source constructs.
>
> There's also improvements/bugfixes in newer python runtimes/VMs to be
> considered.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, most improvements to the VMs don't
affect the code you write.  Example:

python-2.5+ is more efficient with garbage collecting that python-2.4.  But
you don't have to change your code to take advantage of python-2.5's
improvements -- you just have to run it on python-2.5 instead of python-2.4.

Those are things that matter to the people putting together distributions
that bzr runs on and might also be something to include in the documentation
about bzr (ie: "While bzr will run on python-2.4, running it on python-2.7
will result in increased speed and less memory consumed") but don't come
with the same upfront decision thatincorporating source constructs like the
"with" statement has.