increasing the python requirement

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 23:27:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 04:54:29PM -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> On 1/4/2011 4:53 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> >> There are no immediate plans to implement a new format. But it is
> >> certainly something that we would be unlikely to backport into an old
> >> stable release.
> >>
> > A plugin would be fine (as long as it works ;-).  Is that what you're
> > proposing?
> >
> > -Toshio
>
> I'm saying that if we do introduce a new format, and have discontinued
> python2.4 compatibility, it shouldn't be hard to write a plugin for
> older bzr to interoperate with newer ones.

Just one clarification -- are you saying, "it would be easy for us (bzr
developers) to create a plugin so we should plan on doing that rather than
support the entire codebase on older python" or "it would be easy for some
interested party to create a plugin if they choose to"?

I ask because well... I'll be able to move the servers I care about to RHEL6
(and python-2.6) so I probably won't scratch that itch.  But I know that
I'll get bug reports asking why the bzr on RHEL5 doesn't work with launchpad
and I hate closing bugs as CANTFIX.

Thanks,
-Toshio "who feels bad asking if someone else plans to do work on some piece
of free software but knows he lacks the time to meet even his current free
software commitments :-("