increasing the python requirement (was Re: [rfc] upgrade pqm chroot to lucid)

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Tue Jan 4 15:20:27 UTC 2011

On 04/01/11 14:51, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> On 11-01-04 05:33 AM, Martin Pool wrote:
>> From memory 2.6 has relatively more relevant new features we'd like to
>> use than 2.5 does, so there is an incentive to bump our requirement
>> all the way to 2.6.
>
> I've found context managers and the 'with' statement, (available via
> __future__ in 2.5), are really significant in day-to-day programming.
> Managing scopes via try/finally has always been a pain.
>
> But don't let me stop you going to 2.6

Going all the way to 2.6 would be de-supporting Ubunty hardy and Debian
etch (oldstable).

Granted, they're pretty old, but there's no doubt a large installed base
of such systems still.

I think we could probably get away with de-supporting them now, but we
should only do it if we have a really really good reason.

Max.