Migrating CVS repositories to Bazaar

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Dec 27 03:36:52 GMT 2010

> It's what I'ved used in the past, sucessfully.  Didn't really have a reason
> to look at other tools (perhaps until now).  I'll take a look at cvs2bzr to
> see if that makes any difference.

BTW, when we converted Emacs's CVS to Bzr (via Git), we ended up with
a mostly working repository, but among the annoyances, one was
discovered late: file ids for the same file was different on different
branches unless the file was added before the branched split.
That makes diffs between converted branches difficult to use.

It's too late to fix it now for our repository, and I don't know if it
was an pilot error on our side (sounds unlikely, since two guys spent
a lot of time (like more than a year) fine-tuning the cvs->bzr
conversion, while waiting for Bzr to become not untolerably slow),
and/or if it's been fixed since, but just wanted to let people know.

        Stefan