Revisit Newbie Bazaar Repository and Branch Setup

Eric Siegerman lists08-bzr at davor.org
Thu Dec 9 18:47:45 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 08:00 -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> From the laptop I did "bzr update" and "bzr commit".
>
> I was told revision 492 was committed on the server.
>
> On the server in the project branch I then did "bzr update" and I was
> told that I was at revision 491.

I think the problem is that you have two heavyweight checkouts
chained together: laptop -> central -> company

A commit in "laptop" wants to ripple all the way up to "company",
but bzr doesn't seem to like that -- at least, when I created a
simpler version of your setup (using file: URLs and native bzr
instead of svn for "company"), attempting to commit in "laptop"
yielded a complaint that, essentially, bzr can't commit to a
checkout of a checkout (I've lost the exact message).

That was with file: checkouts; when I tried it again with newly
created bzr+ssh: checkouts, the commit appeared to succeed, but I
found myself in the situation you describe.

So it looks as though bzr doesn't like chains of heavyweight
checkouts, but, depending on the transports involved, it only
sometimes refuses to commit to them.  Aside: Is the latter a bug
or an unavoidable limitation?

Try unbinding "central" from "company"; that should let you
resync it with "laptop".  Once that's done, you can rebind it and
resync with "company".

Whether or not you use shared repositories, on either your server
or your laptop, shouldn't affect any of this; they're essentially
a storage optimization with little functional effect on your
workflow.

  - Eric