Weird failure of a merge to local branch

Aaron Bentley aaron at aaronbentley.com
Mon Dec 6 14:57:47 GMT 2010

On 12/04/2010 05:13 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> There's nothing special about new-105, wrt its access
> rights, it doesn't have the read-only bit set and its owner is myself.
> So I don't understand why bzr failed to delete it.

On Windows, this can be caused by another program, such as a virus
scanner, file indexer or IDE automatically opening the file.

> (Or is the fact
> that its name appears in the error message just the artifact of the
> failure, and has something to do with the fact that it's the last one
> in the list?)

No, that's the one it couldn't delete.

> The instructions are also very unclear what to do about the "files I
> wish to keep": copy them to their place in the tree replacing their
> current versions?

That would the the usual thing.

Assuming your tree was clean before the merge (you weren't doing merge
- --force), there's nothing in pending-deletion that you need to keep.

> And what to do after I delete that directory?

Re-run the operation you were trying to run earlier.  Since it's a
merge, you could probably run "revert" first.

> I'm not sure how to proceed.  I thought about several possibilities:
>
>  . Try "bzr merge" again, perhaps the problem was transient (if I do
>    this, do I need to remove the pending-deletion directory first?)

Not until the pending-deletion directory has been deleted.

>  . Disable the changelog_merge plugin and try "bzr merge" again (same
>    question as above)

Seems unlikely to help.

>  . Revert to the revision before the merge, and try "bzr merge" again
>    (same question)

Yes, after deleting the pending-deletion directory.

>  . Try "bzr pull --overwrite" from the parent (this branch has no
>    local changes, verified just before the failed merge)

Won't do anything useful.

Aaron