bzr-check-dependencies to get pqm depedencies under control

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Wed Nov 24 11:15:42 GMT 2010

Hi all,

We had some trouble last week getting python-testtools updated on our
automated gatekeeper: pqm.

Our admins asked for a package
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/667298) that will mention all
dependencies needed to run:

  LANG=en_GB.utf8 make check PYTHON=python2.4

there (it's still hardy time there which we want to keep to check
against python2.4 regressions).

I've created a 'bzr-check-dependencies' package containing:

Depends: ${misc:Depends},
 libc6-dev,
 python2.4,
 python2.4-dev,
 python-docutils,
 python-paramiko,
 python-pyrex,
 python-testtools (>= 0.9.5),
 subunit

And this address the issue.

Now I'd like feedback about:

- should we define another bzr-build-dependencies package excluding
  python-docutils ?

- should we instead put these dependencies in a Build-Depends clause
  (but see the bug report about the catch 22) ?

- should I put this package in the proposed PPA or directly in the
  stable one (where I think it should reside permanently if only because
  we maintain up-to-date packages for subunit and python-testtools there
  already) ?

- should I use another name (I chose 'check' as a reference to 'make
  check' and explained the intent in the package description but I
  wonder if people may be confused about 'bzr check') ?

  Vincent