what if tracker url changes?

Stefan Monnier monnier at IRO.UMontreal.CA
Wed Nov 17 19:03:36 GMT 2010

>> > I think the proper way to do it is to use (immutable) aliases for
>> > trackers, and specifying alias-to-tracker URL/interface mappings /inside
>> > the repository/. That way you have zero-configuration URLs which are
>> > easily changeable.
>> FWIW, I completely agree.
> Wouldn't it be sufficient to just store a map of old to new bug URL
> locations? I don't see why this needs another level of indirection with
> extra unique identifiers.

IIUC His suggestion is 3-fold:
1- structure the name into a "tracker name" and "bug id".
   Currently, this requires parsing the URL in an ad-hoc way.
2- provide an indirection so that the tracker's URL can change
   over time.  This could also be added to the current scheme via
   a remapping table, as you suggest.
3- "in tree" storage of the indirection table so it can be versioned and
   so it doesn't require external configuration.

The fact that it works without any local configuration is a major
advantage.  That would be the main advantage: currently all Emacs
contributors who want to commit using the --fixes argument first need to
figure out how to configure their bazaar.conf for it.

Another advantage to me is: "bzr log" can display bug numbers in a much
more legible way (thanks to point #1) since you don't have to skip the
"http://foo.bar.baz/totot/titi" to get at the bug number.  Displaying it
as a URL also has its advantages, as well, but right now Bzr can't offer
the choice.

        Stefan