2.3b2: Slow commands (several seconds) under SunOS / Sparc

Voelker, Bernhard bernhard.voelker at siemens-enterprise.com
Wed Nov 17 17:49:00 GMT 2010

Jari Aalto wrote:

> <bernhard.voelker at siemens-enterprise.com>:
>> Jari Aalto wrote:
>>
>>> Please let me know how can I profile bzr under SunOS, where the commands
>>> take several seconds each
>>
>> You can try truss (which is much the same as strace on Linux).
>
> Let me know what options for truss you need. The log files below display
> results of:

Usually `truss -f command` unveils lots of information. But I think this is
the syscall which is eating much time across all you truss output files:

open64                   .050    1406   1216

Bazaar (or the shell it invokes, or python trying to load many modules, ...)
tries to open a lot of files which takes rather long. And many attemps fail
(1216 out of 1406). Using `truss -f ...` will show you what's going on.

>> Maybe your PATH points to a slow/unresponsive NFS share before
>> bzr or python can be found.
>
> Let me also know how to test this.

You'll see in the truss log what files are tried to be opened.
If you're on a local PC, then you most likely are not using an
NFS file share (which is a filesystem exported by another system
and mounted on your PC; NFS is known to be slow ... at least in
comparison to local storage).

Have a nice day,
Berny