Estimating NNN/MMM

Talden talden at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 00:20:40 BST 2010

>> So when I see something like Estimate M/N where M grows to equal and
>> then exceed N, sometimes by more than a 2:1 margin, does that mean that
>> the initial estimate was not especially good?
>
>> Thanks
>> ~M
>

> It shouldn't ever exceed N, as N should grow larger if M grows past it.
> However, yes. N is not fixed, because it is only an estimate, which can
> be updated.

I'm pretty sure it's not our imagination... it's more usual for me to
see M larger than N than the reverse (I had assumed it was not meant
as a vulgar fraction of work done since it would typically be a value
greater than 1).

> Specifically, it is a fairly good estimate if you are working with a
> long lived branch, but not for an initial import of a large branch
> (little history, lots of file content).

Ahh perhaps the cases in which I've noticed this are poor estimation cases.

--
Talden