Using local Bazaar checkouts from a remote Subversion repository

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 17:39:12 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:58, John Szakmeister <john at szakmeister.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think I'm in trouble and I know folks here can set me straight again.
> Judging by the output, are you certain you made a checkout on hostB?

After some of the fumbles I've made, here is the result of 'bzr info' on host B:

Repository checkout (format: 2a)
Location:
  repository checkout root: .
        checkout of branch:
svn+ssh://172.20.17.27/usr/local/val_etc_svnroot/value_rmtg/value/branches/CommercialValue
         shared repository: /usr/local/bzr-repos-local-and-ox

Related branches:
    push branch:
svn+ssh://172.20.17.27/usr/local/val_etc_svnroot/value_rmtg/value/branches/CommercialValue
  submit branch:
svn+ssh://172.20.17.27/usr/local/val_etc_svnroot/value_rmtg/value/branches/CommercialValue

> I'm guessing you may have actually created a branch.  In which case,
> update isn't talking to the remote repository.  Either that, or your
> connection has been up the whole time, and the changes are already in
> Subversion.

No, not as far as I can tell--but I'll login to the remote and see.,,,

<vpn...ssh host A...check the svn branch that was checked out onto host B...>

Nope, changes did not make it into the original repository.

>> I think, after step 1 on host B, I should have made a branch of the
>> bzr/svn checkout and then, in Step 2 on host C, checked out from that
>> branch.
>>
>> Note that I never gave any unbind commands, and the remote host A is
>> normally not available because I have to vpn to it from local host B.
>
> If that's the case, I'm not sure how your commits to B succeeded,
> unless the checkout on B was indeed a branch (if you were committing
> to a checkout, I'd expect them to be automatically mirrored into
> Subversion).  Perhaps you said to commit locally (via --local)?

No, just a normal commit which I could see were integrated into host B.

>> 1. How can I recover and get the new stuff from my local network
>> branch on host B pushed or merged back into the subversion repository
>> on remote host A?
>
> To start, you need to know what you have on B (whether it's a branch
> or a checkout).

Well, the bzr info reports a checkout as show above.

>> 2. Is there a better solution to my requirements: subversion
>> repository => bzr repository => bzr repository?
>
> You may want to read a couple of blog entries that I wrote.  I've been
> talking about some of my experiences with Bazaar and Subversion
> integration, and some of the pitfalls I've been running into.  I'm
> certainly willing to answer any other questions you might have on this
> front too.  The blog posts are here:
>  * http://www.szakmeister.net/blog/2009/oct/12/bazaar-subversion-super-client/
>  * http://www.szakmeister.net/blog/2010/may/30/bzr-svn-round-2/

Thanks, I'll look at those.

> I'm still learning things, and trying to understand all the
> integration details, but it may help you get to a more useful
> workflow.  FWIW, I'd be more tempted to use branches (versus
> checkouts) for more of your workflow.  But it really depends on you
> and your comfort with doing that.

I'm still a newb as you can see, but I love bazaar so far (if I can
recover from my mess, that is).

Thanks, John.

Regards,

-Tom