Estimating NNN/MMM

Parth Malwankar parth.malwankar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 14:55:33 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org> wrote:
> When bzr 2.2.1 performs an update in a branch bound to a remote
> repository, most of the time it takes it shows a message like this:
>
>  nnnnK mmmK/s  Inserting stream:Estimating NNN/MMM
>
> What is it "estimating"? what is the MMM number.  It isn't the number
> of revisions that is being pulled, because it is much larger than the
> difference between the previous revno and the new one.

Hi Eli,

The message actually starts as 'Estimating ... NNN' with NNN going up.
Then it changes to 'Estimate PPP/QQQ'. As you rightly noted, this
is not the number of revisions but is an estimate of the number
of records to be fetched. Records can be deltas, full texts, etc.

As bzr uses a streaming protocol to talk to the server, it doesn't
know up front how many records to expect. So there is an initial step
of estimating followed by the progress indication against the
estimate.

Regards,
Parth