A few thoughts on foreign integration...

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Tue Oct 19 14:24:56 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:
[snip]
> Yep, that does make sense. Thanks for the explanation.

You're welcome!

> So, this is a problem that we've encountered in some other situations as
> well (the "parallel imports" problem overlap with this one, for
> example). Various solutions have been proposed, but they either haven't
> been worked out in detail (e.g. path tokens) or have other issues (file
> id aliases).

I did take a look at the blueprints for path tokens (I believe the
actual text is here:
<http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/DraftSpecs/PathTokens>), but didn't
see any implementation ideas--only requirements and the problem it's
trying to solve.  Can you tell me what a path token is, and the idea
behind its implementation?  FWIW, it does seem to be along the lines
of what I want.  Although, I wonder if dropping file ids all together
wouldn't be more reasonable too.  I like that file ids make rename
detection (and a few other things) so easy, but they're really getting
in my way, at the moment. :-)  I know, I know... that's a pretty large
change.

Also, what are file id aliases?  How would that help solve this?

Thanks!

-John