Ready in bzr/proposed: qbzr, bzr-builddeb, bzr-stats

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Sun Oct 17 22:03:21 BST 2010

On 17/10/10 17:30, Vincent Ladeuil wrote:

>     > Ready in bzr/proposed:
>     >  * qbzr 0.19.2
>     >  * bzr-builddeb 2.6
>     >  * bzr-stats 0.0.1~bzr41-1
>
> Thanks !
>
> It seems to me there is an interesting pattern showing up here: some
> plugins release stable version corresponding to the bzr ones even if a
> bit later (we document that they should have a stable branch to do that,
> I'm not sure how many plugins really do that so far though).

In the interests of completeness I should point out that:

* the bzr-builddeb update was me noticing that the PPA was lagging, and
correcting that.

* the bzr-stats entry is a plugin new to the PPA, which I added because
it is a build dependency of bzr-gtk, and its absence was causing bzr-gtk
to FTBFS on hardy. In fact, bzr-stats has never made a release.

> We are buffering them into proposed before copying them to the stable
> ppa.
>
> *When* should this copy occur ?
>
> - only when we do a stable release (they will accumulate until the 2.2.2
>   release),
>
> - after they have been tested (who is using the proposed ppa instead of
>   the stable one ?)

Or, option 3:

- after minimal verification that they can be promoted without causing
  any package uninstallability or plugin api version errors.

It seems to me that we just do not have sufficient people exercising the
PPAs on old distroseries to do true verification in the style of Ubuntu
SRUs, even at a lesser level of testing.

I believe the proposed PPA came into being originally with the
motivation that the stable PPA would never suffer from uninstallable /
unusable plugins during the release of a new stable series. I'd be quite
happy to let it exercise that function *only*, except in cases where
there is reason to be more doubtful of a specific new version that needs
explicit testing.

Max.