Large Binary Files

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Thu Oct 14 08:56:46 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 20:52 +1300, jbowtie at amathaine.com wrote:
> If engineer 1 changes the violin track and engineer 2 changes the
> vocals track, you can merge that without conflicts. Even in the case
> of a conflict you include both versions of the track and flag them as
> conflicting so a human can render judgement. Eventually that gets
> rendered down to an MP3 or OGG, but in my worldview that's a build
> artifact rather than a primary source.

The problem here is that I often won't have the original audio project
files, nor have need for them. Most of the musicians for this project
(www.avaneya.com) only need to submit their work in a high resolution
lossless format (FLAC). That is, from the project's standpoint, the
source form. Passing that through a makefile, different Ogg/Vorbis
quality / channel levels can be produced for different platforms.

The artist might make a change to the audio and submit a new one, in
which case I don't need the old one but only the new one. The repository
would of course have both in there in the history. This is the problem.
=(

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred