Release config file syntax

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Tue Oct 12 17:18:52 BST 2010

    > On 10/11/2010 6:35 PM, Gordon Tyler wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm working on this right now. I should have something for people to
    >>> look at by tomorrow.
    >>
    >> It's up at lp:~doxxx/+junk/bzr-release-config. Still working on tests.

    > This should be basically working now. It can parse a ConfigObj-style ini
    > file that describes package versions and lists of packages per platform,
    > with optional package version overrides for each platform, and it can
    > fetch the packages according to their URL or branch+revno.

Wow, that was fast :)

A bit too fast even, I wanted to collect the data before starting
implementing any code :)

Anyway, rough review:

I don't like:

- reimplementing a config file on top of configobj, we already do that
  in bzrlib.config and the idea was to *reuse* that as much as we can,

- the use of embedded sections, we don'support them in the
  bzrlib.config, that's why I mentioned using dotted names instead.

I like:

- the higher level objects like Package and maybe a ReleaseConfig that
  will be specific to each platform (as in presenting the relevant
  options from the config file),

- the helpers for fetching and installing the dependencies and the
  plugins.

On the overall, since we have code we can make it evolves so let's
continue with it.

I'm unclear on how to share the *code* between the various packaging
projects though...

On the other hand, since the OSX installers already use sub-directories
(and I suspect the windows installers do the same), we may want to use
scmproj or bzr-externals...and we may as well package them no ?

        Vincent