bazaar and ecryptfs

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 18:54:53 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:32, Marco Pantaleoni
<marco.pantaleoni at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone had any experience with using bazaar in conjunction with
>> ecryptfs?
>> I would like to somehow put my protected data under version control
>> but am not sure of the best way to do it.  By default, on Ubuntu,
>> using program "ecryptfs-setup-private" makes an encrypted directory
>> ~/.Private.  The best solution I can think of at the moment is to
>> create a bazaar repo somewhere and keep an rsynced copy of that
>> directory (~/.Private) in it, committing in the repo as changes are
>> made (perhaps doing it all as a cron job).
>>
>> Thoughts or suggestions?
>
> I believe bazaar would work better if you version the unencrypted version of
> your data.

Good thought, Marco, thanks!  Then how about this slight change:

Keep the bazaar repo in the ~/Private directory (unencrypted) and
backup the encrypted directory.  I would have to ensure that the
unencrypted directory was not being used during backups.

-Tom